Interessante Ansichten über die Strat von Robin Trower

A

Anonymous

Moin,
hab gestern im Web rumgestöbert u bin auf ein Interview gestoßen, welches Robin Trower dem Guitar Player 1980 gab. :-D. Hier ein interessanter Auszug:

Do you have any advise for young guitarist?
The first thing I'd do, on a practical level, would be to use as high an action as possible on the Stratocaster. It's the only way to get a good sound out of the instrument. That's something that took me years to come down to; so I've just saved them about four years of messing about. When I used to go and buy a Strat, old or new, I would go through them all and listen to them acoustically. The one that had the best acoustic sound I'd check out for it's electric sound. If it doesn't sound good without an amp, it'll never sound great with one. The most important thing, however, is that high action. You've got to learn to work with it because it helps you to bend and to get your fingers behind the strings and be able to push them up and hold them there. If your action's too low, then you're going to have trouble with it snapping back underneath your finger. With strings, use only as light a gauge as you have to. The heavier the better, obviously, because the heavier the string, the bigger sound you're going to get.

Gruß
Little Wing ;-)

Moin,
dann wollen wir das hier nicht unerwähnt lassen (bin ich ihm als
echter alter Procol Harum Fan schuldig):

Zitat bzw. kopiert:

The one consistency throughout the years (dating at least from 1971's Broken Barricades) has been his Fender Stratocasters. In the late 70s and early 80s, he used two 1966 Strats (both stock), one with the E string tuned down to a D. He outfitted a third Strat with Bill Lawrence humbucking pickups to cut down on noise at difficult gigs.

Later on, in the 90s, he changed to custom Strats, made by Fender to his specs. In particular, he seemed to alternate between one with stock pickups and another outfitted with Lace Sensors. His decision to switch to new guitars (as opposed to his earlier use of 50s and 60s models) came about because he had 15 vintage guitars stolen in 1979, and ultimately felt that he didn't want to become dependent on one or two irreplaceable instruments.

Trower's main tip for setting up a Strat is to keep the action high. He tests them by first playing without amplification--then, if the guitar sounds true, he'll plug it in. As far as strings go, in the 70s and 80s, he used a fairly top heavy Ernie Ball set (.011, .015, .016, .024, .034, .046). Remember though, he was tuning down a half step during this period (see section on tunings below). Later, for In The Line Of Fire in 1990, he used a extremely top heavy set of .012, .015, .017, .026, .036 and .046! To the best of my knowledge, he was tuning to A440 for that album, so I'm at a loss to explain how he could bend the strings with any efficiency.

For the record, he claims to use a three-position toggle switch (instead of the modern five way variety) and favours the middle position for rythym. The song, Bridge Of Sighs, was played in the middle position, but for Daydream, he used the back pickup. For most of his career, Trower also disabled the "whammy bar" by placing a wood shim between the springs and the body. With the newer Fenders, he relies on their locking machine heads and now uses the whammy at times.

12er hohe E.....Junge Junge.... :)

Hallo Capt'n,
bestätigt ja genau das, was er im Interview sagte. Also wenn man mir 15 Vintage Gitarren stehlen würde... :shock:. Kann mir aber nicht passieren. Hab nämlich keine :lol:.

Gruß
Little Wing

... genau,

lieber billige verlieren :)

btw: strat, bin grad versucht die fender lite ash strat zu kaufen (*schmelz* meine erste fender-strat), kostet so um die 500, schon wer gespielt?
bin kein fender-feti, aber die hat mir zugesagt, vor allem die S-Duncan Pickups...

lg

Yep Wing - wollte das ja auch nur ein wenig vertiefen - und freue
mich, wenn auch mal über Leute gesprochen wird, die ich
noch kenne und live auf der Bühne sehen konnte.
:)

@ lxlx
Jo, ich habe die Fender lite ash seit Januar 05.
Bin sehr zufrieden....mehr wäre an dieser Stelle Off Topic, gibt's
hier nicht schon einen entsprechenden Thread?

Gruss
CG - Baujahr 1951 und bekennender Procol Harum Fan :cool:

Capt'n Grau":1q0w1wwt schrieb:
@ lxlx
Jo, ich habe die Fender lite ash seit Januar 05.
Bin sehr zufrieden....mehr wäre an dieser Stelle Off Topic, gibt's
hier nicht schon einen entsprechenden Thread?

schon klar,
hab ich nicht gefunden,
PM...

danke

Capt'n Grau":3g8vat5c schrieb:
Yep Wing - wollte das ja auch nur ein wenig vertiefen - und freue
mich, wenn auch mal über Leute gesprochen wird, die ich
noch kenne und live auf der Bühne sehen konnte.
:)

Hi,
Trower tourt doch grade wieder durch Europa ;-).

Gruß
Little Wing

Schon.
Aber das kann nicht das gleiche Feeling sein wie seinerzeit zusammen
mit Gary Brooker und dem Rest von Procol Harum.

'The Shadows' (Hank B. Marvin, Bruce Welch und Co.) sind in
2005 auch noch einmal unterwegs.
Die Band, von denen wir bereits in den 60ern Alles coverten.
Nach Hamburg kommen sie natürlich nicht.
(Dort habe ich sie - natürlich mit Cliff Richard - seinerzeit
gesehen)

Aber Esbjerg/DK ist auch nicht so weit von hier. :)

Capt'n Grau":1aesdimn schrieb:
Schon.
Aber das kann nicht das gleiche Feeling sein wie seinerzeit zusammen
mit Gary Brooker und dem Rest von Procol Harum.

Jou, einen Procul Harum Thread wollte ich aber eigentlich nicht aufmachen. Der würde wohl eher in ein Keyboarderforum passen. Ich persönlich finde, Trower bei Harum war Perlen vor die Säue geworfen, was er ja dann auch Gottseidank eingesehen hat. Danach entwickelte sich Trower erst richtig ;-).
Hab letzt mal Repent Walpurgis gehört. Hätte ich nicht gewußt wer da klampft, hätte ich gedacht, was iss denn das für ein Gichtfinger :lol:. Kein Wunder, wenn man dauernd gegen eine Kirchenorgel ankämpfen muß :lol:.
Aber die Geschmäcker sind ja u. das ist auch gut so, verschieden ;-).

Gruß
Little Wing

Little Wing":1au98fae schrieb:
Jou, einen Procul Harum Thread wollte ich aber eigentlich nicht aufmachen.

Dito
Danach entwickelte sich Trower erst richtig

Bestreite ich nicht. Für mich weckt eben sein Name Erinnerungen
an jene Band. Kirchenorgel allerdings war nicht dabei. Trotz mehrerer
Equipment-Trucks

Beliebte Themen

Zurück
Oben Unten